CBS News reported today that at least 89 became sick after consuming moldy Chobani Greek yogurt. These reports come from the FDA. Although all 89 people ate the recalled products, the FDA has yet to confirm that the yogurt caused the sickness.
The mold found in the yogurt, mucor circinelloides, causes dairy products to spoil and is associated with bloating and swelling, much like the bloating reported in connection to the recalled Chobani products last week. Although Chobani assured consumers that the mold should not pose a health risk to most, it may be dangerous to “people with compromised immune systems through inhalation.” In these people, the company said, the mold may act as an “opportunistic pathogen”.
The recall, announced last Thursday, affected 5% of Chobani products. The affected yogurt cups have the code 16-012 and expiration dates between Sept. 11 and Oct. 7.
If you or a loved one has been affected by a Chobani product, contact us at www.andrewsthornton.com or toll-free at 1-800-644-1734.