On August 29, 2013, Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc. voluntarily recalled four lots of Cubicin (daptomycin for injection) after glass particulate matter was found in numerous vials from these lots.
The administration of an intravenous drug with glass particulate poses many potential safety risks—some life-threatening.
Medical literature has reported on the following risks:
- Phlebitis (vein inflammation)
- Formation of granulomas
- Mechanical blocking of the capillaries
- Mechanical blocking of the arterioles
- Activation of platelets
- Subsequent generation of microthrombi
- Pulmonary Embolism
The following lots of Cubicin 500mg in 10mL single-use vials (NDC# 67919-011-01) have been recalled:
- Lot #: 950453F
- Expiration date: 12/06/2013
- Ship dates: 05/31/2011 – 06/27/2011
- Lot #: 090203F
- Expiration date: 09/07/2014
- Ship dates: 01/12/2012 – 01/23/2012
- Lot #: 201703F
- Expiration date: 08/31/2015
- Ship dates: 03/04/2013 – 03/07/2013
- Lot #: 201653F
- Expiration date: 09/01/2015
- Ship dates: 03/12/2013 – 03/18/2013
The Cubicin recall was issued within days of numerous FDA safety alerts regarding injections manufactured by companies such as JCB Laboratories, Wellness Pharmacy, and Park Pharmacy & Compounding Center.
If you or a loved one has been affected by Cubicin (daptomycin for injection), contact us at www.andrewsthornton.com or toll free at 1-800-644-1734.